Supporting theoretical and applied research in the areas of spoken and written language and developing and understanding between language, literacy and numeracy.
Director: Professor Julie Dockrell
The Centre for Language, Literacy and Numeracy: Research & Practice (LLNR&P) is a cross-departmental unit within the UCL Institute of Education.
- Our aim
We draw on a wide range of expertise from psychology, education, and speech and language therapy, aiming to identify the ways in which language and literacy skills work together to support learning and attainment.
Our distinctive focus is on the link between theory and practice and the evaluation of interventions to support oral language, literacy and numeracy competencies.
- Our staff
Director of Centre
- Professor Julie Dockrell
- Professor Rob Savage, Professor of Psychology
- Gill Brackenbury,?Director of the UCL Centre for Inclusive Education
- Dr Roberto Filippi, Associate Professor?in Psychology and Special Educational Needs and Director of Multilanguage and Cognition Lab (MULTAC)
- Dr Rebecca Gordon,?Associate Lecturer (Teaching)
- Associate Lecturer (Teaching)
- Professor Jane Hurry, Professor of Psychology of Education
- Professor Chlo? Marshall, Professor of Psychology, Language and Education, Director of the ALLICC lab
- Professor Jackie Masterson, Professor of Psychology of Reading
- Dr Emma Sumner, Lecturer in Psychology and Special Educational Needs
- Dr Jo Van Herwegen,?Associate Professor in Developmental Psychology
- Dr Claire Forrest, Research Fellow.
Associates and visiting fellows
- Dr Barbara Arfè, EdPsyLab, DPSS, University of Padua
- Professor Richard Cowan,?UCL Institute of Education
- Dr?Ambra Fastelli, EdPsyLab, DPSS, University of Padua
- Dr Ioanna Bakopoulou, UCL Institute of Education
- Dr Jaime Balladares?
- Dr Lucie Broc,?University of Poitiers
- Dr Susan Ebbels, Moor House School and UCL
- Dr Lisa Fridkin, UCL Institute of Education
- Dr Frances Hampson-Jones, Former PhD Student
- Angela Hobsbaum, Researcher
- Dr Karin Keller, University of Basel
- Dr Anna Llaurado, University of Barcelona
- Dr?Maria Mengisidou,?UCL Institute of Education
- Ann Nordberg, University of Gothenburg
- Dr Jeni Riley,?UCL Institute of Education
- Professor Rhona Stainthorp, University of Reading
- Professor Anat Stavans, Beit Berl College
- Professor Morag Stuart, UCL Institute of Education
- Dr Joanna Vivash (DEdPsy), Cambridgeshire Community Educational Psychology Service, UK
- Professor Dominic Wyse, UCL Institute of Education
PhD and EdD students
- Keeley Dobinson
- Fifi Haji Zailani
- Carolina Hernandez Jamasmie
- Jana Parolkova
- Our research
Upcoming and current projects
- The key to oral language?(lead:?Julie Dockrell, funded by Heather van der Lely Foundation)
- Empowering staff to enhance oral language in the early years?(lead:?Julie Dockrell, funded by the Nuffield Foundation)
- Breaking into sign language: the role of input and individual differences (lead: Chloe Marshall, funded by the Leverhulme Trust)
- Language-learning needs on school entry: profiling phonology, morphology and narrative (lead: Julie Dockrell and Emma Sumner, funded by the Heather van der Lely Foundation)
- Teaching Grammar for writing (lead: Dominic Wyse, UCL Learning & Leadership, funded by the Nuffield foundation)
Past projects include
- iRead: Personalised reading apps for Primary school children (lead: Asimina Vasalou, UCL Knowledge Lab, funded by a European H2020 grant)
- Multilanguage acquisition across the lifespan?(lead: Roberto Filippi, funded by the?Leverhulme Trust)
- Flexible Phonics (lead: Professor Robert Savage funded by Education Endowment Foundation)
- Revision of the national curriculum for English
- The Better Communication Research Project - Watch BCRP 1: What is the Better Communication Research Programme? (video)
- Involvement in the COST action "An integrated and inclusive approach to language and literacy in Europe".
- The Early Years Measures database
Hear from our researchers
- Literacy in children and adults: not only cognition but also emotion and motivation (Summer 2021)
- Research updates and Q&As (Summer 2020)
Areas of expertise
Our members have considerable expertise in the following areas:
- Oral and written language development
- Psychological processes in reading and spelling
- Specific learning difficulties
- Speech, language and literacy difficulties
- Typical and atypical language development
- Numerical skills development and difficulties
- Language development in deafness and hearing impairment.
We are currently involved in the revision of the national curriculum for English, in the COST action "an integrated and inclusive approach to language and literacy in Europe", in reviews for the nasen journals and in consultancy for the Educational Services of the Falkland Islands Government.
Julie Dockrell has been carrying a consultancy work in the Falklands Islands this February. This is quite a unique consultancy work commissioned by the Educational Services of the Falkland Islands Government. Julie spent two weeks advising the two schools of the island on their Special Educational Needs provision, assessing the needs and advising on appropriate arrangements.
Previous consultancy works include:
- Evaluation of Talk for Writing (PDF, Education Endowment Foundation)
- Review of the independent report Provision for Children and Young People with Dyslexia
For further information on our consultancy services, contact?Professor?Julie Dockrell:?email@example.com
- Tools for practitioners
Resources produced by members of our centre useful for professionals and researchers: